Hazards and dangers

New Zealand is full of beautiful flora and fauna. The problem is, some of it can be harmful to your dog .

Dogs will often eat large amounts of toxic substance without noticing an unpleasant taste. That’s why it’s important that you recognise potential symptoms of poisoning and react accordingly.

Symptoms of poisoning include vomiting, loss of appetite, excessive drooling, weakness, over-excitement, abnormal breathing rate or changes in body temperature

If your dog has eaten a toxic substance but is awake and alert, do NOT induce vomiting. Make sure there is plenty of water available to your dog and immediately call the National Poisons Centre (0800 POISON – 0800 764 766) or your vet. If your dog is unconscious or having difficulty breathing, contact your local vet immediately.

Be mindful of your dog when walking along the beach – discarded items, or even things that get washed in, like jellyfish or algae can be toxic.

Even everyday items around the home can pose a threat to your dog. Cleaning chemicals, chocolate, plastics and corrosive materials should all be stored safely and securely.